Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fancy a Scone?

I can not recollect having ever eaten a scone before.

I've seen them on the racks of places such as Starbucks, Panera, and Dunkin' Donuts (oh, how I miss thee); but never really felt inclined to try them. I'll be honest, when it comes to baked goods I'm a little wary of BREAKFAST items. This is because they tend to lack flavor. And by flavor I mean sugar. By their very nature they should be less sugary...it is breakfast after all, but lack of sugar in a baked good is not necessarily a good thing in my book. Thus, I have heretofore never even tried a scone. 

You're probably asking, why now? What would even possess you to bake one this late in the game?

I'll tell you. I was bored. Hence the name of the blog. Get it?? Bah!!

I also had a bunch of blueberries in my fridge that I didn't want to go bad. Ev and I could only eat so many at a time.

As usual, I went online and looked for recipes that included blueberries. Sadly, I don't own a muffin pan, so muffins were out of the question. I was thinking of a coffee cake or maybe even muffin tops, but the scone recipe sounded super quick, easy and, even better, I had all of the ingredients! 

The bebe refused to take an afternoon nap today, so the fact that the recipe was easy to follow really helped. She hates to watch me bake. *sigh*

I'll have you know that I started off using the countertop as most people would do, but then Ev started to fuss right as I was supposed to create the 6" rounds and cut them (to create the triangle shape). So, I did what any good mother would do... I put everything on the floor in front of her so that she could watch. See?

Notice the pizza slicer. I thought it was a great idea to use that to cut up the circle into triangles, like a pizza... but I really should have floured it first (or something). It ended up sticking to the dough and it made it difficult to make the pieces look like triangles.


Aren't some of them funny looking? Especially that wormy one in the middle. Gah!

To make them sweeter, I added a half of a cup of white sugar and also sprinkled some sugar on the top of the scones :)

This is the prettiest one! 

I cautiously nibbled on the wormy looking scone (best to not show off my ugly ones) and turns out that I LIKE scones!! They're WAY lighter than I had anticipated. They always looked like they'd be dense/heavy, but they're light and fluffy! The sugar on top was definitely a nice bonus.

I found the recipe here (at allrecipes): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blueberry-Scones/Detail.aspx

I highly recommend this recipe! I plan on enjoying one tomorrow morning with my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment