Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Hot Strawberries

For some reason, the idea of hot strawberries doesn't seem appealing. Maybe it's because I tend to eat my strawberries raw--right out of the fridge (washed, of course). 

The only baked good recipe that I have EVER used strawberries in is pie. The ever famous and delectable Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

You see, I had hurriedly gone grocery shopping when I arrived home from my trip up to Connecticut to visit with family and friends. I didn't leave much in the house, save for some microwaveable meals for the husband, and was in desperate need of some snacky foods for the kid as well as for myself.  I had only meant to do some light shopping, but I stupidly went shopping while hungry. Which leads to copious amounts of purchasing. Like, a cart full. Ugh.

Anyhow, in my hunger-induced shopping frenzy I managed to pick up a bunch of fruit (yay for healthy choices!)...too much fruit (boo for over-buying). We managed to eat nearly all of the grapes as well as some bananas (some had to be frozen for future banana bread making!). Sadly, the container of strawberries remained untouched.

Like any smart momma who has learned from past experiences, I was well aware of the havoc that cut up strawberries can wreak on a cute baby outfit. So, I tend to only give them to her if I feed them to her myself or if I strip her down to a diaper and bib.

Well, the strawberries were definitely no longer in their prime, if you know what I'm sayin'. So, I figured that it would be best if I cut them up and baked them into SOMETHING. I thought about trying out the scone recipe again, this time substituting the blueberries for strawberries. But, I was in the mood for something different. A muffin, perhaps.

I had recently acquired a muffin tin and thought that some strawberry muffins would be good for breakfast the next day. 

Baking commenced.

I used a recipe from allrecipes.com, as usual. I used the actual recipe as more of a guide and made some modifications based on the reviews of the original recipe:
1. Added a dash of vanilla
2. Added a dash of cinnamon
3. Added a 1/4cup of brown sugar
4. Cut back a bit on the white sugar

The final product!

I have to say, I'm not really all THAT impressed. I mean, it tasted good, but there was a bit of a funny aftertaste. Bleh.

The hot strawberries were definitely more appetizing than they sound (to me). 

I think that I won't make this particular recipe again. I'll have to hunt down something more to my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment