Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's Like Red Velvet in this Grown Woman's Smile

Guess what I'm making!!!

[Hint: Look at the title]

You've got it! Red velvet cake!

What auspicious occasion would require the makings of such a delicious and decadent treat? It's my wedding anniversary today :)

Yep, four lovely (and LOOOOONG) years of wedded bliss for me and the ol' ball and chain. Just kidding! But seriously...

My husband, Eric, isn't really a baked goods foody such as myself. Shockingly enough, he barely gives sweets a second glance. 

I know, crazy, right?

So, when it comes to cakes and whatnot to celebrate our birthdays, anniversaries, etc., it's usually up to me what to make (although he did have me make him that carrot cake for his birthday). For our four year wedding anniversary I thought that some red velvet cake would be delish.  

Odd as it may seem, I never even tried red velvet cake until a few years ago. I think it's mostly because I thought it was some kind of a white cake that someone had dyed bright red. BUT, believe it or not, red velvet cake is a CHOCOLATE cake. Although these days a lot of red food coloring is used to help get that super red color, historically speaking, there used to be a reaction between vinegar and cocoa that would create the reddish hue.  You know, back when they made cakes from scratch all of the time.

Not like this chick. My red velvet cake came out of a Duncan Hines box.

And when I say cake, I mean cuppycakes. And when I say cuppycakes, I mean friggin' HUGE cuppycakes. Mini cakes?

Take a peek at these puppies:

No, my cupcakes are not bleeding, I'm just a messy baker. Also, check out the ginormous-ness. Just for reference, they box said it should make 24 cupcakes. I was only able to make 11.

I apparently bought the world's biggest cupcake liners. Who knew that there were different sizes? It was tough trying to keep them from folding in on themselves when I put the batter in. Ooops.  

Due to the fact that the were so large, I had to bake them for a full 24 minutes. Then I placed them on a rack to cool thoroughly before frosting them with a cream cheese frosting (which is apparently the typical frosting for red velvet).

As a final touch, I added semi-sweet chocolate chips to the tops of the cupcakes. The chocolate chips help to set off the chocolate flavor of the red velvety chocolateness.

The final product!

I just ate one. With a fork. It was too tall to fit into my mouth.

Needless to say, I won't be having another after dinner tonight (ribs! yum!). Pretty sure I've had my fill for the day. But that's ok. I'll watch Eric eat his :)


No comments:

Post a Comment