Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Something New and Different

Whoa. I've been slacking. Sorry for the lack of updates! I've actually been trying to sit and write this post for a few days now, but I've been busy preparing for a big trip to the Northeast! Ev and I are going to visit friends and family (and a real mall! and a Dunkin Donuts!).

But, you don't care about that stuff. You only read this blog for one reason and one reason alone. FOOD.

It's totally ok. I completely understand.

The baked good to be highlighted in today's post has been baked by millions of people the world over. In fact, I've even posted an entry already about this classic treat--the ever-scrumptious Chocolate Chip Cookie.

You're probably thinking, "Good Lord, this chick is ridiculous with the chocolate chip cookies." And, you'd be right. BUT, it's always good to have a secondary (read: backup) recipe on hand in case you find yourself in the very predicament that I found myself in the other day.

See, the way that I usually make my cookies involves using a box of vanilla pudding. Sadly, when I felt a hankering coming on for some cookies I scrounged around my pantry for all of the necessary ingredients and found myself pudding-less. *gasp*

The baby was asleep and it wasn't like I could just run out to the grocery store right then and there and I was fixing to pitch a royal fit when I remembered a conversation that I had with another wife on base. Amy has been on a quest to find what she deems the perfect chocolate chip cookie. She prefers a large chewy cookie (as opposed to the soft cake-y ones that I typically make). She mentioned in our conversation that she found a recipe that works for her and she had posted it to her blog (she has a cute blog about her life as a military spouse).

I figured that I could deal with a large chewy chocolate chip cookie. And, after all, beggars can't be choosers (you know what I'm sayin'?).

I quickly searched her blog for the recipe and once I had it in my hot little hand I got down to business. In no way did I alter her recipe as far as mixing ingredients--I did however shorten the refrigeration time. There was no way Ev was going to let me take the time to shove cookie dough into a 1/4 cup measuring cup and smack it out onto the tray for 10min. So, I only chilled the dough for 30min--which turned out to be fine because the dough was firm and not sticky at all!

I'm going to be honest with you, when I tasted these warm out of the oven, I wasn't really all that impressed. It was hard to actually taste a flavor (if that's possible). So, I decided that perhaps once they cooled the flavor would be more discernible. And I was correct!! In fact, these cookies tasted AWESOME the next day! AND they stayed chewy and fresh for a while--three or four days after baking.

Although it was a switch up from my normal recipe, I'm glad I took the dive and tried it out. They're a great cookie and completely different from my other go-to recipe.

I'll definitely be making them again!

As for the recipe, I'm unsure if Amy is ok with me linking to her blog, so I've copied and pasted her recipe here (prepare to be entertained! She's a funny gal!):

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie I Ever Done Made
(Found on Allrecipes) 

Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups chocolate chips (I used a whole bag. I love me some choco chips.)

1. Preheat the oven to 325. Grease your baking sheet or use parchment paper or whatever floats your boat.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Add the vanilla, egg and egg yolk and beat until light and creamy. Stir in the flour mixture, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Stick the batter in the fridge and forget about it for an hour or so. The dough is pretty wet, and sticking it the fridge allows it all to come together and work as a team to become the best darn choco chip cookie on earf.
5. After an hour of pacing around the kitchen and snitching cookie dough, drop the cookie dough by 1/4 cup full (YES 1/4 cup! These are big ol' cookies). Press them down just a bit. Space the cookies apart by 3 inches.
6. Pop the pan in the oven for about 15 minutes. Check them towards the end and pull them out when the edges are starting to become golden. They might not look quite done, but don't overcook these little buddies or you will cry. Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes on the pan before you put them on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Eat at least one while still warm and gooey and consider starting a new religion designed upon reveling in the glory that is a perfect chocolate chip cookie.



And, of course, the obligatory photo!
See my new cooling rack? No more cooling on paper towels for this chick!
I'm movin' up in the baking world ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment